Tuesday, December 2, 2008

not just another numbered restaurant...

I'm not sure if Chicago has so many restaurants and we've run out of names, but it is getting ridiculous the amount of restaurants with numbers. To clear up any confusion, possibly just my own, here is a guide:

Hub51 - Anyone who lives in Chicago has heard of the Lettuce Entertain You restaurants. This new restaurant is the first venture from the famous chain's sons. I first visited this restaurant with my incredibly hard to impress father (sorry, dad) who also happens to be a modern architect, and he was raving about the interior. This sports bar meets modern restaurant hybrid is the perfect equation for someone who is looking for a fun, yet classy environment with great food. The inventive menu was a refreshing treat, and let's be honest, a quick way to my heart is a phenomenal bathroom. I'm in love.


Room 21 - A sister restaurant to Carnivale and Opera, restaurateur Jerry Kleiner quickly made me one of his biggest fans after one meal. (NOTE: I was here for a work dinner in which we ordered about every dish... and every bottle of wine on the menu, so my critique might be a bit biased) Regardless, this place is amazing. From the enormous zebra mirror behind the bar to the plush chairs and walls, this restaurant is lavish from beginning to end. The food is equally as exquisite. The circular tower of red velvet cake was a personal favorite. Fabulous girls night spot!


Table 52 - To sum it up, go make your reservation now. This restaurant was amazing, but hard to get into! I was lucky enough to have a great boyfriend call two months in advance for our anniversary. The owner is Art Smith who is Oprah's past chef. Let's be honest, Oprah wouldn't settle for anything but the best, and from the looks of it, she can eat. I'm not a huge fan of the term 'comfort food' (I think that adjective should be reserved only for clothes and couches), but it especially applies here since the generous portions are so good you won't be comfortable afterwards. Goat cheese and chive biscuits start off a guaranteed great meal. The ambiance wasn't especially my style - it's like you walked into a country kitchen (and I don't mean that in a Cracker Barrel way) but I appreciate any place that ties the interior into one cohesive theme. It all worked.


Park 52 & ZED451 - Park 52 is another Jerry Kleiner restaurant like Room 21. Pink leather couches [See below] at a restaurant? ZED451 is new as well and apparently can be summed up as Brazilian churrascaria with a great deck. [Photo of interior at bottom] I've never been to either, but from the looks of the interior photos, I'm going to need to go to both soon. Will report back!

Well that's it for a number of Chi town's numbered restaurants. Feel free to share any more you've heard of!

No comments: