Friday, April 24, 2009

Rick Bayless Never Lets Me Down

As an avid and very vocal fan of Frontera Grill, naturally I've been curious to try the sister restaurant next door, Topolobampo. Owned and operated by famous Mexican food chef (and fellow Bucktown/Wicker Park inhabitant) Rick Bayless, Topolobampo was rumored to be a little nicer and more adventerous Mexican dishes. Needless to say, I was thrilled when Rob pulled up outside as a surprise for my birthday dinner. And Rick and his crew did not disappoint! We had their version of tortilla soup and chile rellenos which were superb. I can tend to be a semi-safe, or as most of my friends say - boring, eater, so I literally told the waitress to surprise me with an entree. Rob ordered a lobster dish and the waitress brought me the duck. The duck was prepared two ways - seared and pulled and I honestly couldn't tell you which was better, they were both just that good. To top it off, I had an amazing Champagne Margarita and my go-to Mojito. I was thoroughly impressed with the creative menu and the interesting way they incorporated Mexican spices and traditional foods into inventive, gourmet dishes. Last year's birthday meal was at Frontera, so I'm very pleased with this tradition we've started. The meal was amazing. Mexican food lovers that are a tad adventurous, Topolobampo is a must.




No comments: