Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ATTN: Pumpkin Pie Lovers!

I'm a huge pumpkin-anything lover, but my boyfriend's absolute, most favorite thing to eat is pumpkin pie. So naturally, as an aspiring foodie and pathetic advertising sucker (say it's "the best" and I'll buy it), I decided we needed to embark on our own adventure to find Chicago's best pumpkin pie.

THIRD PLACE

Bakery: Red Hen Bread

Grade: C+

Thoughts: Red Hen Bread is located on Milwaukee just north of the North/Milwaukee/Damen intersection and since it always seems to be fairly busy, I figured we had to add it to the list. This pie had some pizazz - they added a sugary crust star to the top of the pie that was a nice touch. However, the filling was where we had some issues. It had been overcooked and was a tad touch inside. It also lacked the nutmeg and pumpkin pie spices that make the pie so memorable. On a happier note: the fresh baked bread came in at least a dozen interesting varieties, and the sandwiches looked very delicious. We won't be back for the pie, but we'll definitely be back.



RUNNER UP


Grade: B

Thoughts: We had to start with my favorite bakery, Sweet Mandy B's in Lincoln Park. I've sampled cupcakes all over town, and in my opinion, nothing is better. I also adore their banana pudding which has nursed my obsession created last year by Magnolia Bakery in NYC. I tried to not get my hopes up too much as I called an ordered a pumpkin pie. To my surprise, it was just okay. Good filling consistency, but a little heavy on the pumpkin spices. It was a very good pumpkin pie, but not the best I've ever had, and certainly not up to par with their spectacular other delicacies.


THE WINNER!

Bakery: Letizia's Natural Bakery

Grade: A

Thoughts: Letizia's Natural Bakery is on Division in Wicker Park and I randomly discovered this bakery on a prior cupcake excursion. Their website is http://www.superyummy.com/ which is VERY appropriate. I figured it was worth a shot because they did have pretty decent cupcakes the last time around. We picked up the pie and unfortunately they only had frozen ones, which made us a tad nervous. Regardless, we anxiously waited an hour or so at home until we thought the pie would be ready. Wow, was that worth the wait. Letizia's pie is so delicious, I'm fairly certain it would turn anyone into a die hard pumpkin pie lover. The crust was flaky and buttery and the flavor of the filling was perfectly balanced. NOTE: The only reason Letizia's didn't receive an A+ is because since it was frozen, the filling seemed just a tad underdone. Still delicious, but with a few more minutes in the oven, this pie would be shockingly perfect.



So after two weeks, we are almost through our second Letizia's pumpkin pie, and agree that this has been a wonderful way to kick off the holiday season. Happy eating!

1 comment:

bianca said...

oh my gosh, reading your blog makes me miss living in Chicago SOOO much!!!

I must take note of your recommendations for when I come home during the holidays!