Monday, October 19, 2009

A failed, but fun Vegan attempt

So even though I'm not a vegan, or vegetarian or anything special (well, except kind of picky I guess), I still like to experiment with different styles of food. My roomie Andie and I met Josh the owner of Handlebar and his employee Matt at a party a couple weeks ago. Handlebar is a very well known restaurant/bar/vegan hotspot/bike messenger hangout in Bucktown and we decided we had to give it a try. Handlebar is on North Ave and you definitely will not be disappointed. We went for brunch and even though my goal was to eat vegan, I just cannot do brunch without eggs! So... I ended up getting a vegan breakfast burrito but added in egg whites. Pretty close, right? Well regardless, it had seitan "chorizo" in it that was absolutely delicious. Andie got the Buffalo "Chicken" Wrap and the chicken combined with the vegan ranch dressing was to die for. And I can't forget to mention our favorite side: Smoked Gouda Mac n' Cheese. It was amazing! Hands down one of the best (and VERY filling, in a good way) meals I've had in a while. The ingredients were so fresh and yummy - we will be back soon I'm sure! Go check it out soon... and say hi to Matt and Josh!


1 comment:

andiecox said...

A valiant vegan effort my friend! And yes- the Buffalo "Chicken" Wrap gets my high-standard buffalo seal of approval. :)