Friday, November 20, 2009

Drinks only at Paramount Room

I've been to Paramount Room for drinks before and loved the inventive cocktails and subdued atmosphere. So naturally when my friend Brian and I were trying to plan a dinner party, we decided it would be a good spot. I was very attracted to the bar because I loved how you walk in to a smaller bar and then once you head downstairs, the room opens up to this huge beautiful space.

As usual the cocktails were killer. The drink menu has been updated since, but I had a Pimm's cinnamon concoction that was dangerously delicious. We waited for a LONG time for appetizers and our waitress politely told us they would be on the house because of the delay. Appetizers were pretty good as far as bar food - skinny fries, homemade chips, tempura green beans. My friends gushed about the mussels. Everything was going great until the entrees came. Everyone in town raves about their famous $9 Kobe Beef Burger ($10 for a Kobe Burger and a Pint every day before 7pm) but I'm sad to report that they just didn't live up to the fame. Now for those of you who know me, I'm not a huge red meat eater anyways, so I polled the table for their opinion. Kobe or not, the burgers were just very average. There weren't many options on the menu, but I inquired about the Mahi Mahi and the waitress agreed it was a good choice. Wow, bad idea. When she set the plate down, I immediately knew what was wrong by the smell. It had turned. And this isn't battered or fried old fish. This was a plain old sautéed fish sitting there looking at me. I took a bite and my suspicions were confirmed. The waitress felt horrible and was very sweet about the whole situation, but come on. It was touted as the "Fresh Fish of the Day" on the menu. Really??

Paramount Room started as a great after work drink spot in my mind, but if their claim to fame burger isn't up to par, and the rest of the menu is so hit or miss, a drink spot it will stay.


On a more positive note, take a look at this place. Not what you'd expect for a basement!

No comments: